Joining the ELAC Athletic Department in March 2019, Cerwin is the first ever staffer hired in the history of the department to be in charge of sports information.
Cerwin came onto LACCD and East LA College in March of 2017 with a diverse background in the private sector. Utilizing his 11-plus years as a customer service supervisor, he served as lead student point of contact within the Counseling Department as well as an appointment setter and manager of the department’s webpage. His professional experience and dedication to helping students earned him a nomination as a Transfer Champion in May of 2018.
Within his professional background, he also has many years of experience in broadcast media and sportscasting; it was his general knowledge of sports journalism that landed him in his current role of with the department. His multitude of duties serve the general purpose of assisting student-athletes obtain transfer scholarships to colleges and universities across the country. With the department housing the vast majority of ELAC’s African-American student population, Cerwin is proud to provide as many windows as possible into the performances of this competitive student cohort.
Cerwin’s current duties include:
- Statistical tabulation and reporting of athletic contests and results.
- Webmaster and editor for the ELAC Athletics website (www.elacathletics.com), a vital, public-facing informational and promotional tool for the department’s student-athletes and teams.
- Lead writer and photographer of athletic media releases for the site. Will often travel off-campus to attend team contests.
- Managing the department Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Disseminating team and department news and events to the ELAC community, fellow CCCAA schools and officials as well as the general public.
- Organizing logistics for team travel needs. This includes booking vehicles from bus and rental companies.
- Create team schedules for public distribution.
- Coordination with sports conference commissioners to assign of game and event officials, as well as facilitating and tracking payment of said officials.
- Assist the Athletic Director in managing department vendors in a multitude of areas.
- Leads football and basketball gameday management operations.
- Provide color commentary for ELAC basketball online broadcasts
- Department liaison, coordinating department participation in promotional events with groups such as the ELAC Foundation and ASU.
Cerwin holds a BS in Communications Studies from Morgan State University, an HBCU, along with an MS in Media Management from Syracuse University’s famed Newhouse School of Public Communication.
He was born and raised within the greater New York City area.
Please use email for any media-based inquiries.