Defense Leads Huskies to Another Dominating Win
by Cerwin D Haynes
With the Chaffey Panthers visiting Weingart Stadium today, the East Los Angeles College Huskies believed they had an opportunity to build upon last week's performance while facing a step-up in opponent.
The Huskies seized said opportunity and the evening firmly, beating the Panthers 42-7 on Alumni Night.
ELAC fired their opening salvo early... really early... as in "very first play" early. The Panthers' Jocob Meneses booted a 54-yd kick-off to a waiting Khadeem Richards who caught the ball at the ELAC 11. He prodded, evaded, and juked his way up and across the field until he saw daylight, and took off. Richards raced to the endzone on an impressive 89-yd return, and East LA had their first touchdown before the fans could settle in after the national anthem.
Chaffey would advance the ball into Huskies' territory on their opening drive, but only got nine yards on a 3rd and 11 play to the ELAC 39. After taking a delay-of-game penalty, The Panthers would punt. The Huskies only gained 5 yards on their opening drive and was forced to punt. ELAC returned the favor, forcing Chaffey to a three-and-out series courtesy of a third down sack of QB Kevin Lukasiewicz by freshman LB Jonathan Perkins - the first of his two sacks on the night.
Chaffey would return that favor and then some on East LA's next drive: with the Huskies facing their own third down situation, sophomore QB Rudy Garcia dropped back to pass but was strip-sacked by frosh DE Dylan Fulmer. Sheick Diakite would recover the ball for the visitors at the ELAC 18. Five plays later, and the Panthers would tie the game on a six yard TD pass from Lukasiewicz to Adham Youssef to begin the second quarter.
ELAC got their offense going on the next posession. On third and one from the ELAC 39, Pedro Amousou was able to bust through the line and rip off a 23-yd run. Next play: first and ten on the Chaffey 38, Garcia Rudy would hook up Richards for 38-yard touchdown pass and a 14-7 lead.
Later, with 3:50 left in the 2nd, the Huskies would put together a nine-play, 69 yard drive to find paydirt right before halftime. A series of Trashawn McMillan QB-keeper runs (including a 4-yd run on fourth and one) got East LA to the Chaffey 30. McMillian then used his arm to find - who else - Richards for a 30-yd catch and run touchdown. ELAC would hit the lockers up 21-7.
The second half was all ELAC. The defense - playing ferociously - would force punts on all six second-half Chaffey possessions, with five of those possessions without a single first-down allowed to the visitors. The Huskies would score another touchdown in the 3rd to put the game nearly out of reach, and two more in the fourth to close the deal.
After the game, head coach Bobby Godinez commented on his team's play:
- More on the ELAC defensive performance:
- Only allowed 52 total yards to Chaffey, including minus 10 yards rushing.
- Only six first downs allowed all game (Chaffey was 3 out of 15 on 3rd down attempts)
- Forced Chaffey to punt 11 times, even blocking one in the fourth quarter that would ultimately lead to the sixth ELAC touchdown.
- Recorded four sacks.
- Allowed a net of 3.3 yards per Chaffey pass.
- Godinez continues to platoon his QBs, Rudy Garcia and Trashawn McMillan. Each threw for two touchdowns
- The Huskies gained 334 yard on the night, with an even yardage split (167/167) pass to run.
- Jaden Mason led the Husky rushing attack with 63 yards on 11 carries including a 35-yd TD run early in the fourth quarter.
- Khadeem Richards - he of the 89-yd opening kickoff return TD, caught two passes for 68 yards - with both catches for TDs, totalling three scores on the night for the Monticello, NY native.
- The Huskies hit the road down to San Diego, but no time to hit the beaches and surf: they'll be taking on the Olympians of San Diego Mesa College next Saturday at 6pm. Live streaming details TBA on our social media feeds.
- NOTE: IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING TRAVELING TO SEE THE TEAM ON THE ROAD, PLEASE CHECK WITH HOST SCHOOL BEFORE MAKING TRIP PLANS! Some colleges are NOT allowing fans as part of their campus COVID policies. Check the school's website and social media feeds for info.
|Game Statistics||Chaffey||East Los Angeles|
|Time of Poss.||28:27||31:33|