Huskies Shut Down Falcons
by Tadzio Garcia
(edited by Cerwin D. Haynes)
Playing its 19th-straight game with only seven available players or less, the #14-ranked ELAC Huskies (14-5) won 62-54 at Cerritos College (7-10). East L.A. had to hold on late: a three-pointer by Cerritos sophomore guard Sarah Hernandez whittled a 12-point, fourth quarter lead all the way down to two points (at 56-54) with 2:47 left.
But the Huskies firmed up on both ends of the court and allowed no further points to the Falcons.
"We finally stopped their penetration in the final two minutes," said ELAC head coach Bruce Turner as he described how the Huskies held onto the lead near the end. "We were able to score effectively off our offense and at the free-throw line, which allowed us to rein-in the victory".
East Los Angeles has now won seven out their last eight games.
- ELAC was outshot by Cerritos for the game 40.3% to 36.7%. However...
- The Huskies outscored Cerritos at the line, making 12 free throws to only two for the host Falcons. ELAC also nailed six three-pointers while Cerritos only made two.
- Citlaly Davalos scored a team-high 22 points, Maria Martinez scored 15 (including four three pointers), and Delilah Kimble-Gray added 10 points. For Cerritos, Sarah Hernandez scored a game-high 23 points and Nicole Lizarraga chipped in 10.
- ELAC doubled-up Cerritos' steal count 10 to five.
- ELAC entered halftime up 33-24 and lead 48-42 after three quarters.
ELAC closes out non-conference play against #15 South Region-ranked Long Beach City College (9-8) on Friday, Jan. 17 at El Camino College. Tip-off at 5:00pm.