ELAC Celebrates Sophomore Night on Final Game of Season
by Cerwin D Haynes
The East LA College women's volleyball team concluded their 2021 campaign with their annual Sophomore Night after the conclusion of their game versus the visiting Mt SAC Mounties. A young squad that has endured a great deal of upheaval before and during the season, ELAC only had three sophs on their squad - all three having endured the 2020 season layoff due to COVID-19.
The three graduating sophomores honored were:
- Bianca Ramirez, 5' 5" Libero
- Ramirez is ELAC's top assist-getter as her job entails setting the ball up for her frontline hitters. She currently averages 3.75 assist per set. She had a season-high 32 assists vs El Camino on November 5th.
- Zasha Hayes, 5' 9" Middle/Right-side Hitter
- Hayes rejoined the lineup mid-season after a late start to the fall semester. She's a finesse hitter that likes to catch opposing blockers off guard with her kill attempts along with providing ample defense at the net. She had a .250 hitting percentage back in 2019.
- Katherine Chiquini, 5' 7" Right-side/Outside Hitter
- Chiquini was one of ELAC's most consistent all-around starters and performers throughout the season. She currently totals 394 attacks on the season, and has 92 kills along with 91 digs.
Check out the gallery for tonight's game for photos from the post-game dedication and the game.
- The Huskies, sitting in eighth place in the SCC, failed to qualify for the conference tournament that begins this Friday. For this season, the conference will only invite the top six teams to compete for the title with no consolation brackets.
- ELAC (2-14, 5-15) lost in straight sets to Mt. SAC (13-3, 19-5) 3-0. The Mounties finished second in the conference standings.
ELAC heads to the offseason.
With the expectation of a full, uninterrupted offseason for the first time in two years, head coach Dr. Elliott Walker will look hit the recruiting trail hard as well as begin preparing his returning players for a new season in fall of 2022.